Please sign this and pass it on!
Last year, Tonya, a single mother from Bridgeport who was struggling to give five-year-old son a great school was charged by the Norwalk school district for sending her child to one of its schools. Tonya was trying to provide her child with the kind of opportunities you have supported this year through the proposed expansion of high-quality charter schools. But because of residency laws that restrict those choices, Tonya found herself faced with a choice: Send her child to a failing school that wouldn’t meet his needs – and make her child one of many kids damaged by the state’s worst achievement gap – or do what she can to help her child get into a school that would.
As a result of fighting fiercely for the future of her son, as any mother should do, she faced criminal charges– and now she faces an unfair sentence.
Tonya does not deserve this unfair sentence for education theft. So on her behalf, and on behalf of every parent, mother, father, and grandparent faced with a lack of quality opportunities to learn, I ask you to support Tonya’s full pardon for educational theft. With this pardon, you are once again sending the message that Connecticut will put the educational and life needs of children first!
& some recent news in the case:
A Connecticut woman who was homeless has pleaded guilty to fraudulently enrolling her son in the wrong school district.
Tonya McDowell entered her plea Wednesday in Norwalk Superior Court under the Alford Doctrine, meaning she doesn’t admit guilt but concedes the state has enough evidence to convict her.
She also pleaded guilty to selling narcotics. She faces about five years in prison at sentencing.
- whutetdew reblogged this from activistaabsentee
- off-in-lala-land likes this
- childofwealth likes this
- activistaabsentee reblogged this from readnfight and added:
- numol reblogged this from readnfight and added:
- mariheart3 reblogged this from readnfight and added:
- rexcerebri likes this
- adventuresinlearning reblogged this from iralie
- iralie reblogged this from adventuresinlearning and added:
- troubledsigh reblogged this from danceintomordor
- danceintomordor reblogged this from readnfight
- ispeaktroll reblogged this from whirringg
- deaconparkinsmack reblogged this from whaat
- whirringg reblogged this from whaat
- whaat reblogged this from readnfight
- muzhata likes this
- optimistic-red-velvet-walrus reblogged this from desliz and added:
- kfadich reblogged this from desliz
- mujer-encabronada reblogged this from readnfight and added:
- desliz reblogged this from readnfight
- readnfight reblogged this from readnfight and added: